Sunday, June 1, 2014

Jerry Lewis on The Ed Sullivan Show (1961)


In this 1961 performance from the Ed Sullivan show, Jerry Lewis proves that Ed Sullivan is alive and even has a sense of humor. In this live show broadcast from Las Vegas; I’m not 100% on that, though I have listened to the tape twice; Jerry Lewis has apparently stayed in town, past the end of his run at the Sands, just to be on Ed’s show.

After a hysterical back and forth with Ed; during which he offers career and fashion advice to the host; Jerry does some very credible stand-up comedy, albeit with his own unique twist. I’ve always liked Jerry Lewis, but haven’t been a fan of his movies since I was about 6 years old. 

That year I got a birthday pass; remember those; to the Century Theaters. We went to see Jerry Lewis in “The Bellhop.” I remember the film very well, probably because I was trying to figure out what was funny with the scene where Jerry attempts to hang up a strapless bra on a wire hanger. I get it now.

At any rate, this is one of the few times that you actually see Ed Sullivan participate in any sort of scripted comedy routine; aside from the bits with Topo Gio, the Italian Mouse. Enjoy it…

No comments:

Post a Comment