Friday, September 25, 2015

"The 100 Year Old Man" - A Felix Herngren Film (2015)

This is a very good film. I’m not quite sure how to review it without taking anything away from the steady stream of surprises which this film holds in store for the viewer. 

I have to confess something here; I am probably the only person on the planet who disliked the film “Forrest Gump.” I have never made it through more than 15 minutes of it. And yet this film is somewhat similar. And that’s all I will tell you. I will give you this much though; here are the notes, right from the back of this exceptionally creative film.

“After a long and explosive life in munitions, involving a multitude of seminal moments from the 20th Century, including the Spanish Revolution, the atomic bomb, and the Cold War, Allean Karlsson finds himself  - on his 100th birthday – stuck in a tranquil Swedish nursing home. Determined to escape the monotony he hops out a window and kicks off a hilarious and unexpected comic-adventure by way of a stolen briefcase, a hardcore biker gang, and an escaped circus elephant named Sonya.”

It’s funny that as I read the liner notes today I think I understand more fully the difference between “Forrest Gump” and Allan Karlsson. While Gump was a somewhat of a bystander caught up in the circumstances around him, Karlsson is more pro-active, inserting himself in the situations which present themselves. And for me, that makes all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment